Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Update on the baby!

So I haven't posted anything about the baby and being pregnant! But I have been keeping a pregnancy journal- so here are some tidbits from that for those of you who want to know what's been going on! Its going to be a long post- but I'd rather get it out in one pop!

The History: Tyler and I decided in October of 2008 that we were ready to start a family.  The time seemed right and we started preparing.  We signed up for Aflac’s supplemental insurance plan, I changed my diet, we bought “What to expect when you’re expecting,” and were ready to go.  In December 2008 we started trying to have a baby.  Things didn’t exactly go according to planned.  We were unsuccessful so one year later we headed to the first few doctors to discuss the problem. Unfortunately we didn’t feel like they were helpful, it seemed like we were just going to follow protocol just like the next person.  I struggled with this because I wanted to know what was wrong, and how to fix it.  So we decided to see a new Doctor, Dr Danee Young.   She was very helpful and thorough.  I was so happy with her.  We did ultrasounds, labs, and lots of testing. We found out I had a number of problems but all were somewhat minor and things could be done to improve them.  After lots of pills and procedures, things seemed to be going well.  I was scheduled for a surgery to clean out my fallopian tubes and unterus and to break up scar tissue (Sorry if that is TMI)- it was supposed to hurt a lot.  It was on Wednesday, I took a positive pregnancy test the Friday before. Talk about timing!  It took us 1 year and 9 months, but we finally made it happen and have a baby on the way!!

The Big Moment!  (NO, not the conception moment- gross!)
It was mid to late August 2010.  We had recently taken a relaxing weekend to Wyoming, Jackson, and Yellowstone.  My period was due…but never came.  The first few days after, I didn’t want to take a test.  It was only going to be negative and waste my money. So we waited.  When my period was 5 days late, a Friday morning, I decided to take a test.  I went in the bathroom by myself and did my thing.  Then I waited about 30 seconds and peaked to see what it said.  There was a strong pink line, and another faint one. This had never happened to me before!  I called to Tyler saying “Um… Honey?  It’s Positive!”  He responded with “Really?”  Neither of us could really believe it.  It didn’t seem real.  So we hugged, and went to work. I called my doctor and told them the news. They seemed excited and immediately concerned.  Because of my history with scar tissue, the possibility of an ectopic or tubal pregnancy was high.  I was told to immediately get some blood drawn.  So I left work mid day (Friday), and had that done.  I repeated labs 2 days later (Sunday) and then headed in to the office on Wednesday for our first baby ultrasound. Everything looked good, the baby was healthy- it looked like a little tiny blob (we were only 4 weeks along at the time!).  It made it all a little more real!  We are so excited to be parents and just hope this pregnancy goes without a hitch!

Telling the Parentals
We told our parents really early in the game.  At 5 weeks.  We couldn’t wait.  So we invited them over and told them we were celebrating Buddies’ first birthday.  When they got there we had cake and ice cream, and had him open some new toys. Then we brought out a bag for each of our parents. In it we put a binky and pair of baby socks.  They were thrilled and we were so excited to share the news with them.  We decided to keep the news in the immediate family until our first doctor’s appointment so we could be sure everything was going ok.

Life as we know it
Being pregnant is hard! haha.  People ask what symptoms I've had.  I tell them its easier to explain what I haven't had.   Nausea, heart burn, exhaustion, cravings, food aversions, acne, forgetfullness, cramping and aching- you name it I've felt it.  Lets all thank the heavens for modern medication that makes the awful nausea somewhat bareable.  Luckily I am feeling super better now, the nausea is minimal and I have some energy back! They say the second trimester is easiest and I agree!
I am seeing Dr. Blackett- she is great and I couldn't ask for a better doctor.  I am currently 16 weeks and I feel like I look 30 weeks.  My belly is sure enjoying growing nice and big!  I can't feel the baby move yet but I can't wait for that to happen!!!  We find out the gender of the baby on December 30th and I think I am more excited about that than I am about christmas.  I think its a boy! We will see. 
Tyler is the best husband in the whole world and has been so supportive.  He has taken care of everything so I can relax whenever I am home.  He even makes special trips to bring me food I've been craving!  He is amazing and will be the best dad ever!

So that's life in the Hepworth House- Hope everything continues to go well!

5 comments:

Nicki said...

okay that was the cutest post ever! I wish I did that with mine but I don't think I will ever forget. They say you forget when you look at that cut little baby but I am sure something is wrong because when I think about another baby all the bad memories come back to haunt me :) I puked till almost 30 week with both kids. I am telling you and I know you already know but it is so worth it. I am so excited for you guys and you are going to be such a cute mom. If you need anything I am just across the street :) Sorry I look at your blog but I am guessing you like it, right?

Amie said...

Fun to read! I love hearing about pregnancies and all that comes with it. Pregnancy and giving birth is such a miracle! I am so excited for you guys and I hope the rest or your pregnancy goes well. Being sick is no fun. But just remember it is all for the good of that little gummy bear growing in your tummy. (Sorry if this comment is cheesy. Sean's cousin just lost their baby and it is making me reflect a lot on the miracle of it all.)
Love ya and I hope we can get together again soon.

lala said...

I am so excited for you guys, Jami! After we saw you at the mall Ben said he doesn't know why but he thinks you'll have a boy. If you need anything, let me know! Yay for updates! :)

Morton Family said...

So wonderful(that it finally happened)! I am just so excited for you two!! Its a journey that just keeps getting better! Miss you!

Holly said...

I love the update! It's fun to read your entries...i can feel the excitement! Congrats again and keep us posted on boy or girl! ; )