Saturday, May 7, 2011

Birth Story Part 2

A few hours after getting started on the all the meds, I started feeling pretty nauseous.   I have been told that labor can make you sick to your stomach, but this was pretty bad.  I was unable to sit up, turn over, or lay completely flat without vomitting.  My nurse explained this was unusual and I must be reacting to all of the medications I was given.  To makek matters worse, the baby wasn't super happy about what was going on.  Each time I had a contraction, or threw up,  the babies heart rate would drop dramatically, but then as soon as it was over it was back up again.  This was concerning but we decided to continue with the labor as see how it goes. 
20 hours of labor later,  Dr. Blackett was there and we began to really get worried about the baby.  His heart rate was dropping much lower and he was having a harder time recovering after each contraction.  I was a mess, sick and exhausted, and my epidural just wasn't working so the labor was getting really difficult.  at about 9:45 am Monday morning we opted for a C-Section so I was prepped and rolled into the ER.  Because I had an epidural they did the numbing for the C-Section this way, which apparently isn't how it is done for nomral C-Sections, but it did work for most of the surgery.  The Doctors were amazing and and really made me feel comfortble,  Dr. Blackett and Dr. Norda did the surgery and we laughing and joking the whole time, making it easier for me.

No comments: